Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

50 Mile Run Training Ends - A Bittersweet Feeling

I completed the last run of my 20 week training this morning – a bittersweet moment. I’m so looking forward to Saturday, but I will miss the build-up to the day - the challenges and how bad days are followed by better ones.
It’s hard to believe how fast time has flashed by. Maybe I ran right through time. Like any training, I’ve had my moments of physical, emotional and spiritual stresses, but I persevered. Here it is by the numbers:
20 weeks of training summary
  • Total miles run = 843.2 – The distance from Hartford, CT to Columbia, SC
  • Number of training days = 76
  • Average miles per week = 42
  • Average miles per run = 11
  • Number of times running greater than 26.2 miles (a marathon) = 7
  • Number of times running further than 30 miles = 3
  • Longest single run = 38 miles
  • Most miles in two days = 55.8
20 Week Training Chart
Tomorrow I'll get my supplies together - food, clothes, first aid supplies, and my mental faculties. No, I don't plan to get run over by a car. The first aid supplies are for any blisters.
I’m very happy with my health and what I’ve accomplished so far. The next challenge: Completing the 50 miles after I turn 50 tomorrow.
I know that I’m not the fastest or that I can run the farthest, but I can run and I’ll always strive for a personal best – I’m thankful for that. And, I’m thankful for the support from my loving wife and son – my family.
I’m glad that I can give through my running. Whatever gift God has given to us, we should share that gift. God has given each and every one of us a gift - we all just need to find it.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. – Steve Prefontaine (an inspirational and elite runner)"

Enjoy your journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment