Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

50 Steps to a Healthier Future Update

Alex at the Children’s Home made significant progress this week, trying to nail down the date and location for the 50 Steps to a Healthier Future event. Her persistence paid off.
The date will be October 22, 2011, beginning at 7:00 until I’m done. The start and finish will be at the Edna Stevens Elementary School in Cromwell, CT. At this time I’m projecting it will take 9 hours to complete. Here is a map of the 1.6 mile loop:
1.6 mile loop of the 50 mile run
I’ll need to circle this more than...
32 times.

We'll need volunteers to help with the water station, registration, and activities. This event will be similar to the American cancer Society “Relay for Life” events where people can walk, jog, or run. Teams will be welcome. If you register in advance, you will get a T-shirt. I’m really excited about getting a chance to help such a great organization in my town.

If you want to volunteer, go the the Crowdrise Website:
http://www.crowdrise.com/50stepstoabetterlife/fundraiser/childrenshomeofcromw#top
I completed a hard five mile tempo (fast) run on Wednesday. I got out at 9:30 so it was already 81 degrees with the sun beating down. I was happy with the end result.

The change in my schedule to running four days a week from five is working well. My belief that recoveries are more important than running is paying off. Now I run Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. My goal is to ride 20 miles on the bike on Wednesdays for cross-training. I try to get the weekend runs in early during the coolest time of the day.
I’m not sure how I feel about the long runs this weekend. Sometimes it’s hard to get out of bed so early. I will not need to get up too early tomorrow since it will be 7 miles. However, Sunday is 24 miles so I will need to give myself ample time before I go out the door and enough time to get ready for church after I return.
Today, I read a blog by Cubicledad, A.K.A. Daniel E. Malinski, who is training for the Chicago Marathon. You can follow him on Twitter @cubicledad. I added his blog to my favorite blog list. He is quite an inspiration for those who want to take control of their lives, converting to a healthier lifestyle. He has lost over 100 pounds and he is a marathoner!

http://www.chicagonow.com/cubicle-dad/2011/07/long-runs-ahead/
In today's blog, Cubicledad talks about the apprehension of running long runs. I can empathize as I get deeper into my training. I have trained for marathons, but never 50 miles. Last weekend after running 23 miles I was feeling “quite trashed,” physically. I did the run in 3:16. As my training gets closer to the 50 mile run, I will need to run back-to-back days of 3+ hours. I know I’ll need to adjust my pace to accomplish the training, however, as a runner I need to overcome the mental games my mind plays, especially running alone without an external stimulus to take my mind off the run as I become increasingly tired. The 50 mile run will become more of a mental challenge than physical. I’m sure any ultramarathoner experiences this.
As difficult as it will be, I’m up to the challenge.
Stay tuned for more information on the 50 Steps to a Healthier Future event. There will a Weblink on the Children’s Home Website where you can register and get all sorts of information.
http://www.childhome.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment