Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Wandering Mind

My run today was longer than planned. When I went out this morning, the only strategy I had was to run no more than 8 miles, which included refining the route for the 50 mile run. Well, the good news is that I narrowed the route down and it’s refined. I decided to reduce the loop distance from 3 miles to 2 miles. This makes the run more fun because the time it takes to run around once will take less. This is also great for relay team members who are working towards a 5K (3.1 mile) run. I also like the loop around the track idea at the end of each 2 mile leg.  A shorter distance also means less time on the main roads and fewer side road crossings, which translates to a reduced chance for someone getting injured. I attached a preliminary Google map. I have my meeting with the Police Captain tomorrow.

Back to how my run was longer than planned; I did 10 miles instead of 8. Not that this has not happened before. I would have known how far I was from home if I were thinking and planning my next turn in the road. Well, thinking was not on the menu. I was in “the zone” when wandering minds wander. Maybe being in the zone was a result of a lousy night’s sleep or I was just looking at the brewing storm clouds; there was one clap of thunder in the distance. I was not even paying attention the GPS watch which I’m usually fanatical about. I vaguely remember hearing the beeps of the GPS at each mile. The run was relaxing. It’s good to do this as a runner occasionally, especially if you’re not training for a race and you’re maintaining fitness. Just know where you are going and don’t get lost – that’s another story for later - flashback.
My feet are a bit sore this afternoon. My shoes are getting worn now from the mileage. These are the same running shoes that I used for the Miami and Boston Marathons. I’m glad tomorrow is a rest day. After Sunday’s long run, next week is a recovery week which means about 15-20% fewer miles, then another 3 progressively harder weeks. It’s a challenging cycle but I’m up to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment